2006/01/02

New Year's Goods Market


*Origin

Since the Japanese colonization period, in prosperous Taipei City, "plenty to eat" has been the synonym of "Dihua Street." Meanwhile, the place with "plenty to wear" is "Huayin Street." From the Qing Dynasty to the early Japanese colonization period, the shops along Dihua Street were selling groceries, dried foods, tea, rice, cloths, and herbal medicine. Until now, Dihua Street is still the largest wholesale market of groceries, dried products, cloths, and Chinese medicine. The New Year's Goods Market always attracts huge crowds of people. The stalls along the New Year's goods streets are of archaic design, built with environmental materials. On both sides of the streets, there are flags and lanterns, creating an attractive sight for the New Year's consumers.

*Activities

The Zhongqing North Road commercial circle, also called the Back Train Station, was the earliest commercial zone for consumer goods. It was the emporium of leather goods, clothing, and diverse merchandise. The goods sold there are not only of high quality, but also have the same sense of fashion with that of New York, Milan, and Tokyo. However, you can pay 50% to 70% of the marked price at department stores to buy the same products. Therefore, since 1997, Huayin Street began to set up a "New Year's market" in cooperation with the Chinese New Year's Goods Market, to sell the quality products there. The crowds that visit there are just as large as those in department stores.


source : http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/local/web/Index.htm

6 Comments:

At 1/06/2006 1:24 PM, Anonymous maria said...

Always heart my friend talks about Dihua Street. But I never been there, I think it just a market and I don’t interested. But your introduction makes me wonder what’s this place and I begin want to check it out. I think I can use my architect appraisingly to see there’s different street sight. I find another fun place now. Thank you guys!!!Ha ha ha.

 
At 1/10/2006 12:24 AM, Anonymous Maxis said...

I think maybe we can go there together after the semester is finish, I want to go there and enjoy the new year atmosphere, too!

 
At 1/11/2006 2:11 PM, Anonymous Pei said...

I have never been there either, and i am curious about what will this big goods market look like.
I could almost imagine how crowded and the atmosphere full of happy new year there .

 
At 2/01/2010 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

 
At 2/03/2010 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

 
At 2/09/2010 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brim over I acquiesce in but I dream the list inform should secure more info then it has.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home